When we get behind the wheel for a drive, whether it’s to work, the store, or back home, we all know in the back of our minds that car accidents occur, but we never think that we’ll be the victims of one. Regardless of how attentive and safe you are when you drive, abiding by all of the rules of the road, there are plenty of negligent drivers on the roads that could cause the crash and you’ll face injuries and damages.
In order to protect yourself, we’ve compiled a list of tips and steps to take before and after a car accident. By following these simple steps, and hiring us to represent you as your Hattiesburg car accident lawyer, you’ll ensure that you have your rights protected, don’t needlessly pay for medical and car repair bills, and possibly collect the compensation you may be entitled to.
What to do before a car accident
The best thing you can do for yourself is getting auto insurance. We should note that Mississippi mandates that you have auto insurance to operate your vehicle legally. By having appropriate coverage, especially uninsured motorist insurance, you protect yourself and your vehicle, monetarily speaking, so that you don’t need to pay for damages, or medical bills, out of your own pocket.
What to do after a car accident in Mississippi
When you’re involved in a car accident, you’ll likely be shocked, confused, and disoriented, making it difficult to take the appropriate actions. However, by keeping this to-do list in mind, you will be able to get through it easily enough.
- Immediately check on your wellbeing and the health of anyone else in the vehicle.
- Move your vehicle to the side of the road if at all possible.
- In the case of minor fender benders, you likely don’t need to call the police; however, when you think the damage to yourself or your vehicle is extensive, you should call the police.
- Collect testimony from any bystanders or witnesses as this will help you later when speaking with a Hattiesburg car accident attorney and your insurance agency.
- Collect the insurance information, license plate, and any distinguishing features of the other parties and vehicles involved in the accident.
- Take as many photos as possible.
- Do not speak to any insurance agents that don’t represent you.
- Contact your insurance agency immediately to inform them of the accident.
- Call our offices to speak with a Hattiesburg car accident lawyer to protect you.
Why you need a car accident lawyer
It can be incredibly easy to admit to fault in a car accident – even if you weren’t at fault at all. Additionally, there may be negligence on the part of your car’s manufacturer, the other driver, their car’s manufacturer, and a dozen other factors. You need a Hattiesburg car accident lawyer who knows how to suss out liability quickly and efficiently so that you don’t pay a single cent more than you should. Contact our offices today to learn more if you’ve been involved in a car accident.