DUI and DWI
Braddock Law has been handling DUI and DWI cases for years, and we realize the ramifications of a possible conviction are all-encompassing – emotionally, financially and professionally. It is extremely important to win your first DUI case. As a courtesy, we offer free consultations. Give us a call if you believe you have a case and we will provide our best guidance and, ultimately, the best representation. If you decide to retain our services, you will not have to personally appear at your arraignment. Also, at your trial, you will not have to speak at all.
Driving Under the Influence is defined as the act or crime of driving a vehicle while affected by alcohol or drugs. Being arrested for a DUI is serious and it is not a case to take lightly. Each time you receive a DUI, the charges and penalties increase.
People often try and configure a formula as to how much they can or cannot drink before driving safely. The bottom line is, driving sober is the only way to drive safely. Oftentimes, drivers have an “it won’t happen to me” mentality when it comes to considering the repercussions of driving under the influence. In reality, DUI offenses may affect your finances, work and family life.
Some states allow a plea bargain for lesser charges. For example, if a driver in California is charged with a DUI, they may be able to plea for a lesser charge. The lesser charge is a reckless driving charge, sometimes called a “wet reckless”. This rule does not apply in Mississippi. There are no shortcuts or warnings for Mississippi DUI offenders.
In the state of Mississippi, 1st and 2nd DUI convictions within a period of five years are classified as misdemeanors. A 3rd DUI conviction is a felony if it occurs within five years of being convicted for a first offense DUI. Neither are something you want on your record.
First DUI Offense
- For the 1st Offense, DUI Penalties are as follows:
- Up to 48 hours in jail or or at a DUI Victims Impact Panel
- Fines from $250 – $1,000
- License Suspension for 90 days
- Attendance in an alcohol safety and education program
Second DUI Offense
- For the 2nd Offense, DUI Penalties are as follows:
- Jail time from 5 days up to 1 year
- Fines from $600 – $1,500
- License Suspension for 2 years
- 2nd Offenses also require an I.I.D. – Ignition Interlock Device
Third DUI Offense
- For the 3rd Offense, DUI Penalties are as follows:
- 1 year up to 5 years in the State Penitentiary
- Fines from $2,000 – $5,000
- License Suspension for 5 years
- 3rd Offenses also require an I.I.D. – Ignition Interlock Device
As you can see, some of these charges have a wide range of possibilities, such as the amount of fines and amount of possible jail time. The exact fines and sentence time is based on the case at hand. Judges will look at things such as damages incurred and the severity of the crash or collision, if applicable. Each case is unique. To best present your options, we will need all the information available about your case.
Choosing the right legal representation is of paramount importance when it comes to DUI defense. Braddock Law has the knowledge and experience in DUI and DWI law to best represent you and your family. If you have been charged or convicted of a DUI or DWI, do not wait to seek help. Contact us today for a free consultation.
- For anyone under the age of 21, the illegal amount of blood alcohol content is 0.02%
- For anyone over the age of 21, the illegal amount of blood alcohol content is 0.08%
- For anyone operating a commercial vehicle, the illegal amount of blood alcohol content is 0.04%
Find the legal help you need to contest a DUI
Getting a DUI charge is serious and you’re probably confused as to what will happen. Will you face jail time? Will you be able to drive? How can I work if my licensed gets suspended? Braddock Law Firm, PLLC believes that you’re innocent until proven guilty, and we’ll work tirelessly on your behalf to resolve your case favorably.
Enlist a dauntless attorney to defend your rights
With fierce representation from the legal team at Braddock Law Firm, PLLC, you’ll enjoy the strongest possible defense and receive superior representation for your case, thanks to your attorney’s over 20 years’ experience in legal practice! Ensure that your case is headed towards the best possible outcome with help from our skilled attorneys.
Counsel for a range of DUI cases and offenses
Braddock Law Firm, PLLC handles several types of DUI cases, including DUI accidents (even those that may have resulted in deaths or injuries), underage DUI, prior DUI (or those with other prior criminal convictions), DUI cases involving drug charges, and out-of-state DUIs. Attorney Braddock can also assist you with drug-related charges!
How will you contest my DUI and defend me?
In order to defend you against your DUI charges, Braddock Law Firm, PLLC will review all the facts of the case and use some tried-and-true methods to mount an effective defense. Some of those methods include:
- Review police reports and procedures to see if arresting officers violated your rights (for example, by not reading you your Miranda rights).
- Determining if the results of your BAC test might be inaccurate (and should be thrown out in court – such as when the test isn’t administered properly or the test results become contaminated).
- Standing up to prosecutors at every point in the legal process, from your opening hearings through to the final disposition of the case to vigorously fight for your right to justice.