There are plenty of dangers within the home that we can fall victim to without a second thought, many of which we are well aware of and know the warning signs of — slip and falls, fire, gas leaks, flooding, and many more. One, in particular, stands out against the others as being particularly deadly and dangerous as there are very few warning signs and they can be misinterpreted or misdiagnosed as several other maladies: carbon monoxide poisoning. It can strike at any time and can cause irreparable brain damage, health defects, and result in death very easily without treatment. In order to protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning, we’ve included warning signs and what to do to stay safe.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is often confused or misdiagnosed as the flu because the two share such similar symptoms. Here are several symptoms to look out for:

  • Dizziness: as you inhale the gas, your brain is getting less vital oxygen and is replaced by carbon monoxide.
  • Shortness of breath: similar to the above, you aren’t getting enough oxygen and your lungs, while full, don’t have enough air to keep you going.
  • Blurred vision: tying in with lack of oxygen, your vision gets cloudy and the ability to focus dwindles.
  • Headache and nausea: these two are most often the symptoms confused with the flu; a general malaise falls over the victim and they continue to rest at home, likely where the poison is seeping from.
  • Fatigue: without enough oxygen to the brains and lungs, you’ll feel under the weather at best and downright ill at worst.

Without seeking treatment and eliminating the source of carbon monoxide, the symptoms worsen until you may be left with lasting damage to your brain or heart – possibly even resulting in death. One tip is that if you feel better when you’re outside and in the open air, it likely isn’t the flu. Immediately go to your doctor and contact the local poison control center to determine the next steps to restoring your health and home.

So, what can you do to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning? The first step is to equip your home or living space with carbon monoxide detectors; follow this by ensuring they are properly working and have working batteries. Call your local poison center to contact a worker to come to your home and inspect all possible sources of carbon monoxide, including water heaters, gas/coal/oil-burning appliances, ovens, grills, and more. Many appliances with poor ventilation can off-gas carbon monoxide throughout your home and will need to be fixed or replaced.

If you, a family member, or a loved one have been affected by carbon monoxide poisoning in your home or rental, contact a Mississippi personal injury lawyer to review your case and determine if you are entitled to compensation. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause irreparable damage to your brain. body, and overall health. There is no reason that you should have o pay expensive medical bills for something that may not be your fault. Contact our offices today to learn more.