A motorcycle accident is a tragic event. For those who have suffered physical or emotional injury as a result of a motorcycle accident or those who have lost a loved one as the result of a motorcycle accident, the effects are devastating. Although no amount of money can erase the pain or trauma of these occurrences, our personal injury attorneys are trained to determine fault when these accidents occur so that due compensation can be rewarded. This compensation may help accident victims or family members cover expenses of medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and applicable rehabilitation. Whether you or a loved one has been involved in a single or multiple vehicle motorcycle accident, our Gulfport motorcycle accident attorneys understand the legal rights associated with the common causes of these types of accidents.
Common Causes of Single Vehicle Motorcycle Accident
There are many possible causes of a single vehicle motorcycle accident. While some are due to driver error, there are instances in which outside circumstances may lead to an accident. Below are some common causes of a motorcycle accident that does not involve other vehicles:
- Unsafe driving: Unsafe driving is one of the leading causes of single vehicle motorcycle accidents. This includes speeding, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and making unsafe maneuvers.
- Road conditions: Road conditions can play a big role in motorcycle accidents. Road conditions such as uneven lane heights, potholes or other irregularities in the road, and slick pavement are just some conditions that increase the risk of collision for motorcyclists.
- Vehicle malfunction: A malfunction of the motorcycle or problems with a motorcycle part can make it nearly impossible to operate the vehicle safely and is likely to result in an accident.
Common Causes of Multiple Vehicle Motorcycle Accidents
Because of the size of motorcycles compared to automobiles, motorcycles can be difficult to see and may be overlooked by other drivers. It is not surprising that more than half of the deaths caused by a motorcycle accident are a result of multiple vehicle collisions. Below are some of the common causes of multiple vehicle motorcycle accidents:
- Driver negligence: Driver negligence describes unsafe driving conditions by one or more parties involved in an accident. This may include speeding, driving under the influence, failing to follow the laws of the road, or any unsafe driving practice that results in a collision.
- Left-hand turns: The majority of motorcycle and vehicle collisions occur at an intersection when a car is making a left hand turn. Oftentimes, cars fail to notice an oncoming motorcycle and may collide with the motorcycle when it is attempting to pass through the intersection.
- Lane splitting: Another common cause of multiple vehicle motorcycle accidents is lane splitting. Lane splitting is a situation in which the motorcycle drives between two lanes of stopped or slow-moving traffic. This may make it difficult to see the motorcycle and also limits the room available to maneuver the motorcycle, both of which increase the risk of a collision. However, this is a legal driving practice in some states.
Motorcycles are smaller and open and, therefore, drivers are at an increased risk for injury or death when collisions do occur. However, there are laws to protect the rights of motorcycle drivers. If a collision has occurred, our auto accident lawyers have the knowledge to determine who or what is at fault for the accident. If compensation is due, we can help clients obtain what is rightfully theirs.
Schedule a Consultation
If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle vehicle accident and you are interested in learning your rights, schedule a consultation at The Braddock Law Firm, PLLC, at your earliest convenience.